You're enjoying a drink of wine one evening and you step away for a moment to grab some more prosciutto and cheese. When you come back you notice that your wine glass is now empty! Your dog has just licked clean the rest of your wine.
You may wonder what will happen to your dog. Will this adversely affect your dog? Will he get intoxicated? What are some side effects of dogs accidentally drinking wine? Read on as we discuss some of these questions.
Dogs are curious animals. They are usually curious to check out any object that looks attractive or seems odd to them. Unfortunately that curiosity can lead your dog into taking a whiff and then a sip of your drink. Also, dogs like to imitate their owners so they may develop an interest in the drink only because they've observed you enjoy drinking it. Also, occasionally when we drink wine, we like to pour them into wine glasses which could also make your dog curious about what you're drinking.
In addition, dogs seem to be attracted to blue and yellow colors which may explain why most dog toys are made in those colors. So if your wine glass is blue or yellow, your dog may think it's their toy and check it out. But after tasting the wine, do dogs enjoy the taste and smell? Most dogs actually find the taste of wine repulsive mainly because they don't like the main ingredient in wine - grapes. They may drink a few pints of the liquid, but will normally lose interest in the drink. However, even drinking a little wine may lead to a serious medical emergency.
Grapes - the main component in wine - is highly toxic to most dogs. They could potentially cause kidney failure, so do not feed any foods that are grape-based to dogs. Although there are only limited studies that show that wine is as toxic as grapes are to dogs, it is still wise to keep your alcoholic beverages out of your dog's reach.
Even if drinking wine does not lead to kidney failure for your dog, it could cause other potential problems. Dogs are relatively smaller than humans, so it may take them more time to process the alcohol. It could cause alcohol poisoning in your dog. Also, dog's digestive system is not accustomed to processing alcohol, so it could induce allergic reactions and other respiratory and skin issues.
Just like humans, dogs can become intoxicated from drinking wine. Symptoms include dis-coordination and lethargy. They may also have some mood swings such as becoming very vocal by barking and growling. In addition, dogs will not understand that they are in a state of intoxication, so the effects of drinking alcohol, such as being in a disoriented state of mind, can make your dog panic. This in turn, could cause your dog to become increasingly aggressive and they may also accidentally harm themselves.
It could. Again, similarly to humans, drinking alcohol does not incur immediate death. However the effects of alcohol poisoning could lead to death. It would ultimately depend on how much wine your dog has drank and depending on your dog's age, size, and health. The takeaway is, if you love your dog, don't give them alcohol and keep it out of their reach.
Grain-free dog food fad has taken off and is a popular choice on the pet nutrition market. Whether it is because dog parents assumed it was a healthier food choice or because in the human world gluten-free became a fad, it is wise for pet parents to understand all the information regarding this dog food trend first before choosing for their own fur bud. So read on to learn more about whether grains should or shouldn't be a part of your dog's diet.