As a caring dog owner, we would want to know the basics of dog care. We may want to focus and put on top of the list their food intake. We feed them once or twice, every single day. Hence, the knowledge about their food is a must. Aside from learning what to feed them, the same attention should be given in knowing which foods can harm our dogs. This is the best way to offer them healthy foods and keep the poisonous ones strictly and safely out of their reach.
Here’s a list of foods you should never feed your dog. Consider to run through this to ensure safety of your furbabies.
Chocolate and Caffeine. This contain a chemical called theobromine and methylxanthines which can badly affect the heart, lungs, kidney and the central nervous system of dogs. The caffeine content in chocolates and cocoa also have toxic effects. When fed with pure baking chocolate, which is the most toxic, watch out for some signs like excitement or hyperactivity, seizures, vomiting, tremors, hyperthermia, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm and coma. Even non-toxic or regular chocolates can still cause gut problems, like an upset stomach due to fats and acidity. When your dog ingested toxic chocolates, an induced vomiting or gastric lavage becomes the first aid of vets. It is followed by some treatments which includes administration of activated charcoal and support care with fluid therapy and medications.
Grapes and Raisins. Watch that glob of fruit salad you have dropped on the ground, or make sure to keep your raisin cookies out of sight from your canines. Raisins and grapes are known to cause irreversible damage to the kidneys and can possibly cause death. Signs to watch out for are vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weakness, decrease in urine production and a drunken gait.
Onions, Garlic and Chives. A condition which causes destruction of red blood cells called Heinz body anemia is most likely to develop when a dog is fed with onions or garlic and chives. Kidney damage may also follow. Secondary to anemia, signs like pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness, exhaustion will occur. The treatment in this condition may consist of blood transfusion and/or oxygen administration.
Sweetener Xylitol. It is a type of artificial sweetener usually found in products like gums and candies. Xylitol can stimulate the pancreas for insulin release and can lead to hypoglycemia or low blood sugar and can also cause liver failure and brain damage. When toxicity takes in, it will include exhaustion, weakness, seizures and collapse. An affected dog needs to be closely monitored and treated with IV (intravenously) with dextrose. Through supportive care, dog’s condition may improve but the liver damage may stay permanently.
Nuts. Macadamias are especially dangerous. In general, nuts including almonds, walnuts and pecans contain high amount of fats and oils. These are triggers and when ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, muscle pain, joint swelling and worse, pancreatitis in dogs. These signs usually prevail within 6 to 24 hours.
Alcohol. Just how alcohol affects humans, it is pretty much the same effect with dogs. So, under no circumstances, alcohol should not be given to our pooch. In just a small amount of alcoholic beverage, which contains ethanol, it can already cause a dog to vomit, have difficulty in breathing, coma, lethargy, diarrhea, problems with coordination or worse, death.
Keep most of your human food to yourself. Resist your pet’s cute face when asking you for table food. After all, it is for their health and welfare.
Spring is finally here, and as a dog owner, it's important to make sure your furry friend is ready for the season. With a little bit of effort, you can help your furry friend transition smoothly into the spring season.
Here are seven dog care tips to keep in mind: