It's the holiday seasons and along with it, lots of mouth-watering foods. It can be very tempting to spoil your pets with some of the foods from your holiday feast with the family. However, did you know that sharing your food can cause some serious consequences for your dog? Read on to learn about 8 holiday foods that are dangerous for your dogs to eat.
Turkey skin and gravy are high in fat and difficult for your dogs to digest. These types of foods can cause pancreatitis - a very painful illness that also causes vomiting, diarrhea, and fatigue. So make sure that you don't have the turkey skin lying around on your plate on the table after the meal. Make sure to quickly dispose and keep it out of your dogs reach.
Normally, bones are great for dogs to chew as they can help clean their teeth. However, during the cooking process, the poultry bones become dehydrated and brittle, which may splinter and puncture your dog's stomach if they eat it. To prevent that kind of accident, make sure to dispose the turkey remains promptly after the meal and quickly pick up any that's fallen off the table.
Did you know that alcohol is more toxic for dogs than for humans? Especially if they are smaller in size and have zero alcohol tolerance, it could cause alcohol poisoning! Do not even play with the idea of giving your dog a sip of your alcohol. You could potentially find yourself taking your dog to the emergency. Serious symptoms that show your dog needs medical attention are staggering, slow respiratory rate, slow reflexes, and cardiac arrest. It could even lead to death. So please, keep your drinks out of your dog's reach and wipe up any alcohol spills to prevent them from curiously licking it up.
Chocolate contains thobromine & caffeine which are toxic for dogs. Depending on the type of chocolate, it may contain more or less of it. Although your dog may be more than willing to eat chocolate, keep it away from them. Make sure you stash your chocolate in a pet safe container or hiding spot so that they don't accidentally stumble onto it.
Onions can cause the red blood cells to burst in dogs and lead to hemolytic anemia because they contain thiosulphate. Onions have the highest toxicity for dogs and even eating a very small amount can cause severe consequences. Symptoms include shortness of breath, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and more.
This is a very popular spice used in sweets and beverages during the holiday seasons. However, you should never feed it to your dogs. Nutmeg can cause your dog to have seizures and central nervous system problems. In severe cases it could even cause death. Make sure that any desserts you want to share with your dog does not contain this spice in it.
We hope that both you and your dog can have a happy and safe holiday season!
Grain-free dog food fad has taken off and is a popular choice on the pet nutrition market. Whether it is because dog parents assumed it was a healthier food choice or because in the human world gluten-free became a fad, it is wise for pet parents to understand all the information regarding this dog food trend first before choosing for their own fur bud. So read on to learn more about whether grains should or shouldn't be a part of your dog's diet.